Scalable Touchscreen Solutions Redefine Aircraft Panel Configurations
“It’s a big day at Maxcraft when Garmin announces their next generation retrofit glass displays! As one of the largest G500/G600 installed base we can appreciate all the significant improvements in this product line-up. The new Engine Monitor package appears to be extremely well done and integrated. Stay tuned as we will be hosting one of the first Garmin TXi seminars in November.”
Garmin is pleased to announce the touchscreen G500 TXi, G600 TXi and G700 TXi flight displays as well as the engine information system (EIS) TXi. Boasting a clean-sheet touchscreen design and vibrant presentation, the TXi family incorporates greater situational awareness tools and an innovative feature set into a contemporary avionics platform. Three displays are available, offering optimal flexibility for panel configurations, including a large 10.6-inch display, and two versions of 7-inch displays, in portrait and landscape orientations. The 10.6-inch display can operate as a primary flight display (PFD), multi-function display (MFD) and optional EIS in a highly customized package, while the 7-inch portrait display can be dedicated to one of those functions. The 7-inch landscape display is available exclusively as an EIS display solution. The G500 TXi system is intended for Part 23 Class I & II aircraft, with G600 TXi designed for Class III aircraft and G700 TXi intended for Part 23 Class IV and Part 25 aircraft. Supplemental Type Certification (STC) for the G500 TXi/G600 TXi and EIS TXi systems is targeted for approval in Q4 2017, which will feature a comprehensive approved model list (AML) containing more than 600 single-engine piston, twin-engine piston and turboprop aircraft makes and models, offering the most configurable, state-of-the-art glass flight display solution in the market.
Vibrant, State-of-the-art Touchscreen Display
The TXi family incorporates a familiar touchscreen design with modern processors that support improved map and chart rendering, faster panning and contemporary single-finger zoom and pinch-to-zoom gestures. Through any combination of the touchscreen or dual concentric knobs, pilots can quickly access and view flight information at a glance. Modernized displays and large fonts offer improved readability, while the simplistic user-interface helps reduce overall pilot workload. Pilots will also appreciate a familiar in-flight experience behind the TXi series as the user interface is harmonious with multiple Garmin products, such as the GTN™ 650/750 touchscreen navigators.
Multiple panel configurations and display orientations allow pilots and aircraft owners to better leverage their current or future avionics investments. Three display formats support over 25 approved cockpit configurations and more than 600 aircraft makes/models. Installation configurations vary as the TXi family is also capable of displaying engine information on a dedicated 7-inch display or in split screen mode on the 10.6-inch display. Up to four displays can be installed in a single cockpit, offering superior scalability in hundreds of aircraft.
Contributing to a streamlined installation and simplified maintenance, the TXi displays are available with integrated attitude and heading reference system (AHRS) and a display-mounted air data computer (ADC), typically alleviating the need to separately locate, mount and wire these sensors. As an additional option for remote mounting, a combined air data and attitude heading reference system (ADAHRS) is available, or AHRS and ADC units are available separately. Installation is further minimized for aircraft with an existing G500/G600 as the G500 TXi and G600 TXi are compatible with previously installed Garmin sensors. The TXi family will also interface with the new GFC™ 600 autopilot and is compatible with a wide range of additional third-party autopilots.
Industry-first Touchscreen EIS Solutions
Available as an integrated solution within the 10.6-inch G500 TXi and G600 TXi system or as a standalone 7-inch EIS display, the TXi family displays real-time engine indications in an easy-to-read format. The TXi series supports various features, including lean assist mode, pilotconfigurable advisories and more, providing pilots with opportunities to achieve greater fuel economy, improved engine efficiency and superior engine operation. Compatible with single-engine and twin-engine normally aspirated or turbo-charged aircraft, EIS TXi supports Lycoming or Continental 4/6-cylinder engines, offering a broad range of aircraft compatibility.
To reduce installation complexity, engine sensors are connected to an engine interface adapter (GEA 110) that is environmentally ruggedized to allow for mounting in the engine compartment. As an alternative, where mounting space is limited, the GEA 110 can also be mounted to the back of the 10.6” TXi display.
When EIS TXi is paired with a GTN 650/750 and Flight Stream 510, Connext® wireless connectivity automatically downloads engine and other flight information to the Garmin Pilot™ app on an Apple® mobile device, which then automatically syncs this data across all of your devices with Garmin Pilot and with flyGarmin.com®. Additionally, flyGarmin.com helps pilots visualize engine and flight information such as track logs, cylinder head temperatures (CHT), exhaust gas temperatures (EGT), oil temperatures and more. Furthermore, pilots can view and dynamically interact with this information longside a moving map, making it easy to understand data points at specific times during the flight. As an alternative to wirelessly syncing the information, the data can be logged and stored on an SD™ card within a TXi display and later uploaded to flyGarmin.com.
Connext Wireless Connectivity
When the TXi series is paired with a GTN 650/750 touchscreen navigator, Connext wireless connectivity offers additional capabilities. Flight Stream 510 enables Database Concierge, the wireless transfer of aviation databases from the Garmin Pilot app on a mobile device to a GTN and the TXi system. Flight Stream 510 also supports the sharing of a breadth of information with compatible mobile devices running Garmin Pilot or foreFlight mobile, including two-way flight plan transfer, traffic, weather, GPS information and back-up attitude information as available.
Best-in-class Reversionary Mode — Say Goodbye to Standbys
In configurations where multiple displays are installed, the TXi series offers a reversionary mode, allowing a single display to show all pertinent flight information, including EIS when installed. Additionally, the 7-inch TXi displays are compatible with an optional backup battery (GBB 54), which can power the display (and integrated sensors) for 30 minutes in the event the aircraft electrical system fails. Aircraft owners who install a dual 7-inch G500 TXi system (on the pilot’s side) with dual ADAHRS and a back-up battery can also forego the requirement for standby flight instruments.
Next-generation HSI Adds Mapping
The TXi family boasts a geographical map overlay within the horizontal situation indicator (HSI) on the PFD, which also supports the overlay of NEXRAD, Flight Information Service-Broadcast (FIS-B) weather, SafeTaxi® airport diagrams, traffic, terrain and more. For example, a pilot can overlay terrain within the HSI map, while simultaneously viewing traffic and flight plan information without significantly diverting their attention away from the PFD. It is also easy to navigate within the HSI map as pilots can simply zoom in/out on the map using a single-finger gesture.
Fully Loaded Functionality
The TXi family also supports the following additional features and options:
- Customizable crew profiles allow pilots to configure and save settings such as audio volume levels, backlight settings, map settings and more so they can be recalled prior to each flight.
- Pilots can overlay and animate NEXRAD radar from FIS-B and SiriusXM® Aviation on the MFD’s moving map.
- Various global datalink weather products are available when paired with GSR 56.
- Automatic Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) “In” traffic and FIS-B weather display on the PFD/MFD via the GTX™ 345 transponder or GDL® 88 ADS-B datalink.
- GWX™ 70 weather radar compatibility offers four-color storm cell display, as well as Turbulence Detection and Ground Clutter Suppression as options. Support for select third-party weather radars is also available.
- Pilots are offered significant savings on database subscriptions as OnePak™ annual database and PilotPak global database subscriptions are compatible with these displays.
- Smart Airspace™ references the aircraft’s current altitude and de-emphasizes non-pertinent airspace.
- Pilots can view and alternate between Garmin FliteCharts® or optional Jeppesen® charts.
- Jeppesen VFR Manual charts (formally known as “Bottlang” charts) are available within Europe, and European Visual Reporting Points (VRPs) can be overlaid on the moving map.
- WireAware™ wire strike avoidance technology overlays power line locations and relative altitude information on the moving map and provides both aural and visual alerting when operating near power lines.
- Synthetic Vision Technology (SVT™) is standard on G600 TXi (optionally available on G500 TXi) and presents a 3D depiction of terrain, obstacles, traffic and the runway environment.
- Class B Terrain Awareness and Warning System (TAWS) alerting is available as an option.
- Compatibility extended to include the GTS™ 800/825 Traffic Advisory Systems (TAS) and the GTS 855 Traffic Collision Avoidance System (TCAS), as well as select third-party traffic systems.
- Patented TargetTrend™ and TerminalTraffic™ technologies are available with select traffic systems and provides pilots with a more intuitive method of judging target trajectories and closure rates.
- Compatible with the GRA™ 55 radar altimeter as well as select third-party radar altimeters.
- Optional support for Reduced Vertical Separation Minimum (RVSM) operations.
- An optional dedicated PFD controller (GCU 485) is available in 5 different formats and provides pilots with an additional source to make adjustments to the heading and altitude bugs, barometric setting and more.
- A back-up GPS is built into the displays, providing speed, direction and position information in the event the primary GPS navigator fails (with optional antenna; external mounting not required).
Maxcraft Avionics is a leader in airplane and helicopter avionic system upgrades, including installation of everything from basic VHF Radios and flight instruments, all the way to sophisticated GPS, TCAS, EFIS, and glass cockpit systems. We have the largest avionics facility in Canada and over 20,000 unique part numbers in our inventory to repair your aircraft or upgrade your cockpit.