We were in Vegas!
It was that time again. Our service managers, Clarke and Ryan had the pleasure of going to Las Vegas for the 56th annual AEA International Convention & Trade Show. It was a great opportunity for Maxcraft to connect with manufacturers, distributors, and other shops to learn what is new in avionics. Clarke and Ryan brought the knowledge back to train our technicians and inform our customers. Just a sample of the new technology that was introduced:
Universal Avionics FlightReview™ is a FMS Flight Data Reduction and Playback Software that gives you the ability to access and review past flights and approaches
- ADS-B Solutions – Many new solutions from Aspen, Garmin, Avidyne, etc. These boxes will provide compliance for the US requirement and provide traffic and wx without subscription fees
- Garmin – They have been busy this year with many new products worth looking at.
- G3X – New avionics for the homebuilt market. The G3X price has been reduced and many new sub products have been added – ADHARS, Angle of Attack, Engine interface modules, and most importantly a digital autopilot at an amazingly low price
- GTN750/650 certification for helicopters – Garmin has optimized the GTN GPS/NAV/COM touchscreen series with new features and capabilities that address the specific needs of helicopter operations. These enhancements include; environmental qualification, meeting stringent helicopter vibration and temperature testing standards optional Night Vision Goggle (NVG) compatibility, optional built-in Helicopter Terrain Awareness and Warning System (HTAWS). Read more here
- GRA5500 – All-digital radar altimeter by Garmin. The new high performance, all digital GRA 5500 radar altimeter for helicopters general aviation and more. The GRA 5500 works to provide smooth altitude tracking resulting in consistent and high accurate altitude above ground indication. Read more here
- GTS825/855 – Enhanced traffic systems with higher power and greater range.
- Cabin entertainment systems – The good news is that there are many choices for wifi, satcom, and entertainment systems. It’s vitally important you match the system for your needs and have a shop install it who knows the technology. Call us to discuss.
- Digital Audio Panels – We have been big fans of digital audio systems for complex, high demand cockpits often found in helicopters. There are now a numerous companies offering this technology such as Becker, Cobham, Geneva, and Jupiter.
- Jupiter -The JA95-001 pictured below may look similar to other audio controllers. However, there are some MAJOR differences that set this unit above its competitors. Product Configuration Software (ProCS™), which is Windows™ based, is used to define or change all adjustable parameters in the audio controller. No trimpots or dip switches! Also, units can be cloned or adjusted in the field without removal from the aircraft. This means that only one unit needs to be ordered to cover many different mission configurations. These features mean no more waiting (or paying) for customized units to be manufactured. Formal qualification testing has been successfully completed and CAN-TSO C-139 (technical standard order) has been granted by Transport Canada. The JA95-001 uses newer technology, has more features and is lighter and less expensive than any comparable product on the market!
Of course, for Clarke and Ryan, it wasn’t all business. They were able to squeeze a couple of hours in to relax and enjoy Vegas.
Maxcraft Avionics is a leader in airplane and helicopter avionic system upgrades like the Garmin GTN series, including installation of everything from a basic VHF Radio and simple Garmin portable GPS all the way to TCAS, EFIS, and autopilot systems. We have the largest avionics facility in Canada and we have over 20,000 unique part numbers in our in inventory to repair your aircraft or upgrade your cockpit.